Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Wisdom from the Mouth of Keenan and Christmas from his Eyes

Wisdom
Everytime I think I have heard the funniest thing Keenan can come up with, he manages to surprise me. Earlier as I was trying to fold laundry, he was rambling away. Since I had a thousand things on my to do list for the day, I had gone into my "uh-huh" zone. For those of you who have not yet experienced an entire week (or day for that matter) of speaking only to people under the age of three, this means that I was randomly saying, "Uh-huh" while I was actually thinking about all of the tasks that needed doing. I was suddenly pulled back to conciousness by these words:
"And Dad is really stinky. He farts a lot."
Trying to speak through my giggles, I said "Yes, Dad is stinky. You're right."
Keenan responded with this glimpse into his future:
"And when I get big and get a beard, I'll be stinky too. Right, Mom?"
What could I say? He actually seemed excited about the idea of being stinky with a face full of hair. So, I again tried to mask my chuckles and said, "Yes, Keenan. You are right. One day, you will have a beard and you'll smell like Dad."
Keenan: "Cause I'll fart a lot too, right?"
"Right."
And with that, I suddenly realized the significance of being the only female in my house.

Christmas
This will be Keenan's first Christmas that he actually "gets" the concept. (Well, at least he understands about Santa and toys.) We watched "The Polar Express" on t.v. a few nights ago and now Keenan cannot stop talking about the bell that Santa will be bringing him, along with the movies and toys, of course. So now I need to find a sleigh bell that only rings for kids who believe in Santa.
The following day, we got out our Christmas decorations and decked the halls. When we put up our Christmas tree and turned on the lights Keenan looked up at it, his eyes got wide, and he whispered, "Wow." He said nothing else; he just looked at it for a few more minutes. He was completely mesmorized.
Next we had a discussion about Santa Clause and how we needed to be good so he would give us our presents. Keenan looked at me and cocked his head to the side and said, "That Santa is a good guy."
Since then, Keenan has run into my room every morning at the crack of dawn and said, "Did Santa come?!" It's going to be a long month.

5 comments:

Coop, Trish, and the kids said...

Boys will be boys, right? So cute
I long for the day when conversations in our house don't involve poop. :)

Kyle & Shanna said...

Keenan is such a little stud. Haha, at least it is good he looks up to his dad. Tyrel is a good guy, in spite of his...aroma. Santa is a very good guy.

AnDe said...

Haha!! Oh my goodness! The farting story had me giggling nearly to tears!! Maybe you oughta try for a girl? Just kidding!
And the Christmas stuff is just adorable!

Erin said...

That is so funny...I bet Tyrel is so proud his son wants to grow up and be just like him. I think Santa is a good guy too!!

howeshomepage said...

Okay. So you have to check out my blog and you are totally going to kill me. Okay before you look, i apologize. I got your email and went oh crap! I forgot to call bobbi. well I have been preoccupied. Anyway I have only had this news for about a month now, so thats not too long right? Love ya!